Effects of climate change the Mekong River Basin
Several key tasks were undertaken within this project:
- Assembling climate scenario input data based on the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) scenarios and interpreting these data for local Mekong spatial details (downscaling) as necessary.
- Analyzing the impacts on basin-wide hydrology, using the Mekong River Commission (MRC) Decision Support Framework hydrology program suite for the Lower Mekong, and incorporating other models or studies for the Upper Mekong.
- Analyzing the effects of climate change on Basin Development Plan objectives, particularly food security implications - this was part of the Integrated Basin Flow Management (IBFM) initiative at the MRC.
- Studying possible adaptation strategies at different scales, from field-farm to sub basin and basin level.
- Using the Decision Support Framework to analyze impacts of adaptation strategies.